8 of the Best Pet Halloween Costumes for Cats or Dogs
Many pet parents love dressing up their family for Halloween, furry family members included! These adorable pet Halloween costumes for both cats and dogs offer endless possibilities for group family costumes or pet and owner costume combinations that delight.
While everyone's number one goal on Halloween is to have fun, there are a few things to keep in mind to make sure your pet is also having a good time. No bones about it, these safety tips will be helpful as you choose the best costume for your individual pet:
- Measure your pet to make sure you buy the appropriate sized costume that will fit her comfortably without squeezing. It's important that the costume doesn't limit the animal's movement.
- Don't force it—if your pet shows fear or aversion to the costume, don't make her put it on! Just make sure your pet is actually enjoying the costume and the activity as much as you are.
- Cats in particular are pretty adaptable and if they're already comfortable wearing a harness and collar, they may be OK wearing a costume.
- Make sure the costume does not cause stress. Watch for stress signals like panting, shaking, or avoidance, and be prepared to remove the costume the second the animal decides they don't like it.
- Try introducing the costume to your pet ahead of Halloween so when the holiday arrives and it's time to get ready, they are already familiar with it. Place the costume in areas your pet frequents and let your pet look at and smell the costume a few times before putting it on. And as always, use positive reinforcement with praise and treats so your furry friend starts to associate the costume with good feelings.