The 10 Best Pet-Safe Cleaning Products For Floors, Furniture, and So Much More
Even the most well-behaved pets can rarely resist licking the floor for food crumbs or exploring an open trash can, and the fact that animals spend ample time licking their paws, laying on the floor, and cleaning themselves means that they're bound to pick up—and possibly ingest—whatever they find. That includes the remnants of cleaning products, and if you've recently scrubbed your floors or tidied up your upholstery, your furry friend might get a whiff of whatever solution was used.
"Pets are curious beings who love to stick their nose (and sometimes mouth) into places they shouldn't," says Katy Nelson, DVM, senior veterinary relations manager at Chewy Health. "Even accidentally breathing in chemicals can cause health issues."
To make your product search easier, we've rounded up 10 of the best pet-safe cleaning products available, from laundry detergents to disinfecting wipes.
Our Top Picks
- Best for Laundry: Seventh Generation Free & Clear Laundry Detergent ($27 for 2-pack)
- Best for Carpets: Nature's Miracle Deep Cleaning Carpet Shampoo ($14)
- Best for Floors: Eco-me Concentrated Multi-Surface and Floor Cleaner ($9)
- Best for Furniture: Puracy Natural Carpet & Upholstery Shampoo ($16)
- Best Powder: Bon Ami Powder Cleanser For Kitchens & Bathrooms ($8)
- Best for Outdoors: BioTurf BioS+ Artificial Turf Cleaner & Odor Eliminator ($70)
- Best for Glass: Aunt Fannie's Glass & Window Cleaner ($9)
- Best for Toilets: Method Antibacterial Toilet Cleaner ($4)
- Best Heavy-Duty: Skout's Honor Professional Strength Stain and Odor Remover ($20)
- Best Wipes: CleanWell Botanical Disinfecting Wipes ($8)
Best for Laundry: Seventh Generation Free & Clear Laundry Detergent
Best for Carpets: Nature's Miracle Deep Cleaning Carpet Shampoo
Best for Floors: Eco-me Concentrated Multi-Surface and Floor Cleaner
Best for Furniture: Puracy Natural Carpet & Upholstery Shampoo
Best Powder: Bon Ami Powder Cleanser For Kitchens & Bathrooms
Best For Outdoors: BioTurf BioS+ Artificial Turf Cleaner & Odor Eliminator
Best For Glass: Aunt Fannie's Glass & Window Cleaner
Best For Toilets: Method Antibacterial Toilet Cleaner
Best Heavy-Duty: Skout's Honor Professional Strength Stain and Odor Remover
Best Wipes: CleanWell Botanical Disinfecting Wipes
Cleaning Ingredients to Avoid
When shopping for cleaning items, Nelson says to keep your eyes peeled for ingredients that are dangerous to animals, including:
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Hydrogen peroxide
Read ingredient lists closely, look for "pet safe" labels, and watch out for ingredients that sound natural and safe. Essential oils, for instance, "may sound 'organic,'" says Nelson, "but are not always safe for pets" due to ingredients known to be harmful for dogs and cats like garlic, cinnamon, thyme, and peppermint.
And if you're ever not sure if an ingredient or product is okay to use, don't be afraid to reach out to your veterinarian or check the ASPCA's list of poisonous household products. There, you can find info on what common cleaning tools and solutions are safe or not safe around animals, ranging from carpet cleaners to fabric softeners.
How to Keep Cleaning Safe for Pets
Buying pet-safe cleaning products is an important start to ensuring your animals' safety, but you also have to be cautious about the way you use said products around them. Keep these tips in mind when cleaning to keep it safe for your pets:
- Keep cleaning products out of reach of pets
- Keep pets out of the room while cleaning
- Allow cleaning products to fully dry before letting pets back in the room
- Air out the space (opening windows if you can)
If you do need to use a formula to clean floors, litter boxes, or other spaces that isn't 100-percent safe for pets, thoroughly rinse and dry the area before allowing your pet back in the space.