The Best Pet Stain Removers for Every Type of Mess
Having a pet in your life means every day is full of surprises. Usually, they're happy ones, like your dog finally learning how to sit on cue or your cat giving you a high five (which can totally happen). Other times, it's stepping in something wet on your rug. Of course, your first concern is making sure your pet isn't sick. Then, it's time to grab the pet stain removers.
Pet odor and stain removers are a must-have for dealing with any kind of dog or cat-related mess. Unlike traditional solvents, these types of cleaners are specifically formulated to break down specific types of pet stains—and they're generally made with pet-safe ingredients. However, some label reading is involved to make sure it's is actually pet-safe.
Ingredients to Avoid in Cleaning Products
"It's important to avoid products that include harsh chemicals such as ammonia, bleach, ethylene glycol, formaldehyde, and chlorine as they can potentially be toxic to both pets and humans," says Dr. Rachel Barrack, DVM, CVA, CVCH, of Animal Acupuncture in New York City. "These products can put your pet at risk of cancer, anemia, and liver or kidney damage."
Even if you're using pet-safe (and people-safe) stain and odor-removing products, you'll still want to use basic caution. "Do not allow your pet to come into contact with treated areas until they're fully dried, and do not leave products out for them to accidentally ingest," she says. Keeping the area ventilated is good practice as well.
If your pet does come in contact with a pet stain cleaner, know where to go for immediate help. "Always call your veterinarian immediately, or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Hotline at 888-426-4435," Barrack says.
The Best Pet Stain Removers
- Best Overall: OUT! Oxy Fast Activated Pet Stain & Odor Remover
- Best for Laundry: Skout's Honor Laundry Booster Stain & Odor Removal Additive
- Best for Upholstery: Woolite Advanced Pet Stain & Odor Remover
- Best for Carpets: Bissell Pet Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner
- Best for Wood Floors: Nature's Miracle Dual Action Hard Floor Stain & Odor Remover
- Best for Car Interiors: Simple Solution Extreme Spring Breeze Pet Stain & Odor Remover
- Best Natural: Only Natural Pet Organic Stain & Odor Remover
- Best for Urine Stains: Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator
- Best for Poop Stains: OUT! Orange Oxy Stain and Odor Remover
- Best for Frequent Messes: Bissell 20037 Pet Stain Eraser Cordless Portable Carpet Cleaner