The Best Kitten Collars for Your New Addition
Even if you never intend to let your new kitten go outdoors, finding a collar that fits his small neck—and your sense of style—is an important step. After all, accidents happen and suddenly your indoor cat is very much outdoors, not to mention out of his comfort zone. And even if he never makes his great escape, a collar with a bell can help you keep tabs on your new friend as he explores his new home.
Even with the identification help of a collar, make sure your new kitten is microchipped because many of the collars on the market are breakaway kitten collars, which means if they're caught on something like a branch or even your cat's leg, they'll release and allow him to run free rather than suffer an injury (or worse). It's a fantastic safety feature, but makes that phone number a lot less useful if the collar is found lying on the ground.
For a purr-fect fit, make sure you can slide a finger or two between the collar and your cat's neck with ease—and check the fit frequently as he grows. You can use a soft measuring tape or even a string or ribbon to measure his neck so you can select a size with confidence.
Our Top Picks
- Best Overall: GoTags Nylon Personalized Reflective Breakaway Cat Collar With Bell ($14)
- Best Breakaway: Whisker City Rainbow Easy Release Cat Collar ($10)
- Best Reflective: Joytale Breakaway Reflective Kitten Collar with Bell ($7)
- Best Leather: CriaCo Off White Luxury Leather Cat and Kitten Collar ($14+)
- Best Bell: Youly The Classic Lavender Breakaway Kitten Collar ($6)
- Best Neutral: Boots & Barkley Stripe Cat Collar ($6)
- Best Splurge: Pastello Cat Collar ($69)
- Best Matching: Pettsie Breakaway Cat Collar with Friendship Bracelet ($11)
- Best Showstopper: Sweet Pickles "The Entertainer" Breakaway Cat Collar ($16)