The Purr-fect Cat Scratching Posts for Your Clawing Kitty
Don't wait until your cat shreds your sofa to invest in a scratching post.
"Domestic cats share a lot of behaviors with their wild counterparts, and that includes scratching," says Bruce Kornreich, DVM, PhD, DACVIM, and director of the Cornell Feline Health Center.
Cats scratch to mark their territories, remove the dead nails, and express emotion. While it's a natural behavior, it can also be destructive, and it's one of the top reasons cats are surrendered to shelters, according to the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals – Angell Animal Medical Center. It's crucial to provide your cat with a scratching post so she has an acceptable spot to satisfy her urge to scratch and stimulate her mind.
Kornreich says that it can take some trial and error to find the right match: Some cats prefer scratching on a horizontal surface while others prefer a vertical option. Material matters, too! Cats might show a preference for a scratching post made from carpet, sisal, wood, or even cardboard.
Luckily, there are countless options on the market, and we've rounded up 10 of our favorites to satisfy your clawing kitty.
The Best Cat Scratching Posts
- Best Overall: MidWest Cat Furniture
- Best Splurge: Happy Camper Scratching Post
- Best Budget: Boots & Barkley Tunnel Cat Scratcher
- Best Design: Refined Feline Calypso Cat Scratcher
- Best Interactive: Ultimate Cat Kicker Toy
- Best Wall-Mounted: MyZoo Cylinder Sisal Cat Scratcher
- Best for Multiple Cats: Borrego Scratching Board
- Best for Small Spaces: EveryYay Scratchin' Cardboard Scratcher
- Best Multi-Surface: ScratchLadder Ultimate Cat Scratcher
- Best Dual Purpose: Whisker City Scratch and Play