Dogs that are protective and good for first-time pet owners
Want to know more about dogs that are protective and good for first-time pet owners? See all the dogs that fit this criteria and learn more about what it's like to have these dogs as pets.
- breed group: working
- breed size: extra large (101 lbs. or more)
- other traits: easy to train, easy to groom, prone to health issues, highly territorial, good for first-time pet owners, strong loyalty tendencies
- colors: fawn, black, blue, gray, white
- patterns: bicolor, brindle, harlequin, merle
- coat length/texture: short
- temperament: gentle, friendly, outgoing, playful, protective
Great Danes are enormous, gentle dogs that love spending time with their family, whether on walks or lazing at their elbows. Is this gentle gargantuan dog breed right for you?
- breed group: non-sporting
- breed size: small (0-25 lbs.)
- other traits: easy to train, easy to groom, tendency to chew, apartment-friendly, strong loyalty tendencies, good for first-time pet owners, high potential for weight gain, highly territorial
- colors: white, cream
- patterns: bicolor
- coat length/texture: long
- temperament: gentle, outgoing, friendly, playful, protective
American Eskimo dogs are intelligent, energetic pups with fluffy white coats that are easily trainable and highly loyal to their owners.
- breed group: hybrid
- breed size: medium (26-60 lbs.)
- other traits: easy to train, easy to groom, requires lots of grooming, tolerates being alone, low prey drive, loves water, apartment-friendly, cold weather tolerant, hot weather tolerant, good for first-time pet owners, strong loyalty tendencies, good hiking companion
- colors: brown / chocolate / liver, red, gold / yellow, cream, black, white
- patterns: bicolor
- coat length/texture: long, medium, curly
- temperament: gentle, friendly, willful, outgoing, playful, protective
A friendly, loving family dog who's easy on the allergies makes Labradoodles one of the most popular dog breeds in the United States. These dogs love activity, just not as much as they’ll love you.