Choosing the Best Food and Treats for Your Senior Cat
"It used to be that veterinarians recommended lower-protein foods for senior cats, especially as they're more likely to have kidney dysfunction, and reduced-protein foods have typically been recommended for kidney disease," she says. "However, recently it's been shown that senior cats may have an increased protein need due to age-related muscle loss. In fact, this protein level needed may rival that of kittens!"
How to Choose the Best Food for Your Senior Cat
Make sure to speak with your veterinarian about any particular health issues your mature cat may have before changing his diet, Anthony says. Body condition, GI health, and other concurrent issues should be addressed by a vet first.
She points out you can narrow down the choices for best senior cat food by checking labels for these specifics:
- Ingredients are listed by weight.
- The main bulk of the food is summed up in the first three or four ingredients.
- In canned food, meat should be the first or second ingredient (to water), and in dry food, it should be one of the top three ingredients.
- Pet food should meet the requirements set by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO). The wording will either say "animal feeding tests using AAFCO procedures" or "formulated to meet standards."
Because your vet is aware of your individual senior cat's underlying conditions, they might have recommendations in addition to these brands, so it's good to check with them first. Here are a few options to consider:
- Best Dry Senior Cat Food: Wellness Complete Health Senior Cat Food - Natural, Grain Free, Chicken
- Best Wet Senior Cat Food: NUTRO Grain Free Natural Wet Cat Food Cuts in Gravy
- Best Canned Senior Cat Food: Fancy Feast Senior Classic Pate Cat Food
- Best Cat Food for Dental Problems: Hill's Science Diet Adult Oral Care Dry Cat Food
- Most Affordable Senior Cat Food: Purina Pro Plan Prime Plus Chicken and Rice Formula Adult Dry Cat Food
- Best Senior Cat Treats: Greenies Feline Smartbites Hairball Control